I recently found myself with an excess of desiccated coconut in the kitchen, making the mistake of purchasing an enormous bag, I quickly made a search on google of recipes that require coconut and came across these sweets.
These are somewhat similar to the traditional Brazilian sweets: Brigadeiros. A fudge like confectionary, made from condensed milk and cocoa, however substitute the cocoa for coconut.
Probably one of the easiest recipes out there with a tiny ingredients list, they made for a perfect way to use up the bag of coconut, plus double up as a gift to give to my mum for Mother’s Day, a win win I say!
Beijinhos de Coco
(makes 20 sweets)
- 400g can of condensed milk
- 50g desiccated coconut, plus more to coat
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tbsp butter
- cloves to decorate
- Place the condensed milk and butter in a sauce pan over a medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Heat gently for about 10 minutes, until the mixture thickens and comes away from the sides and so that you can see the bottom of the pan.
- Take off the heat and stir in the vanilla and 50g of coconut, mix until evenly distributed and then leave to cool on the side.
- Once cool enough to scoop, divide into 20 portions and roll into balls, coating in the desiccated coconut.
- Place in paper cases and top each one with a clove.