You can’t turn up to a party empty handed, especially a St. Patricks Day party. So why not turn up with a bottle of your choice in one hand and a plate of these green-themed cupcakes in the other.
Although there may be nothing typically Irish about these cupcakes, its the colours that make these perfect for St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
Light chocolate sponge cake, topped with both mint and chocolate buttercream and finished with chocolate chips, a classic flavour combination.
Mint Choc Chip Cupcakes
(makes 12 cupcakes)
(for the cakes)
- 125g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g self raising flour
- 60g icing sugar
- 60g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 2 eggs
- 230ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
(for the icing and decoration)
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 300g icing sugar
- 30g cocoa
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp mint extract
- chocolate chips to decorate
- green food colouring
- In a large bowl, add the butter and both sugars. Using an electric hand whisk, whip until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs, flour, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder, milk and vanilla extract and on a low setting, whip again until all combined.
- Spoon into cupcakes cases and bake at 180oC for 20 minutes until cooked through. Leave to cool completely.
- Using two small bowls, measure out 100g butter and 150g icing sugar into each.
- In one bowl, add the cocoa and 1 tablespoon of milk, in the other add the mint extract, a little green food colouring and other tablespoon of milk.
- Whip up both until pale and creamy and a pipe-able consistency, you may need to add more milk and food colouring depending on your mix.
- Fit a large piping bag with a star nozzle, carefully put the chocolate icing on one side of the bag and the green mint icing on the other.
- Pipe swirls on the top of the cupcakes, some may be more green than others depending on the piping bag. Decorate with chocolate chips.