Iceland, the land of fire and ice, is a country synonymous with breathtakingly beautiful landscapes, hot springs and dramatic weather, waterfalls, northern lights and… yoghurt?!
Ísey Skyr is an Icelandic yoghurt that is high in protein, fat free and utterly delicious, and makes for a perfect match with these blueberry muffins.
Straining the yoghurt overnight, creates a thicker, labneh-like product that is perfect for making a healthier frosting.
Blueberry Muffins with Ísey Skyr Labneh
(makes 12 muffins)
- 300g self raising flour
- 85g castor sugar
- 150g blueberries
- 225ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 85g butter, melted
(for the icing and decoration)
- 340g Ísey Skyr blueberry
- blueberries, to decorate
- honey, to drizzle
- For the labneh, place the yoghurt in a muslin lined sieve over a bowl. Sprinkle a little salt on top and leave in the fridge overnight to strain.
- In the morning, transfer the yoghurt to container, mix lightly and refrigerate until required.
- For the muffins, place the flour, sugar and baking powder in one bowl. In a jug, put the buttermilk and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Add the blueberries and stir lightly again.
- Spoon into muffin cases and bake at 180oC for 20 minutes until the tops have turned golden and they are cooked through.
- Once cooled, spoon the labneh on top and with a knife smooth into shape, drizzle a little honey and top with blueberries.