For as long as I can remember, Semlor buns have been on my ‘to bake’ list. It’s taken me a while to get round to making them due to the time commitment required.
Originating from Sweden, the buns have a specific season in which they can be enjoyed, as soon as Christmas is over, the bakeries start filling up with these buns which are available up until Easter, however traditionally they are consumed on Fat Tuesday aka Lent.
Delicious cardamom-spiced buns, made from an enriched dough, filled with a soft marzipan paste, topped with vanilla cream and dusted with icing sugar, could it get any better?
(makes 10 buns)
(for the buns)
- 125ml whole milk
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g castor sugar
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 100g butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 325g strong white bread flour
- 12g dried yeast
- egg wash
(for the filling)
- 100g marzipan
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 300ml double cream
- 1tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Begin by making the dough, in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the flour, baking powder, yeast, sugar, cardamom powder and salt.
- In a jug combine the milk and the egg, turn the mixer on and slowly pour in the milk and egg mix.
- Turn the mixer up and leave the knead for about five minutes, until the dough is smooth.
- Keep the mixer running, add the butter, a little at a time and leave again to knead until the dough has all come together and the sides of the bowl are clean.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and the divide the dough into ten equal pieces, roll each into a ball and place on two lined baking trays, with plenty of space for them to spread.
- Leave covered for 1 1/2 hours until doubled in size, this time does vary depending on the warmth of the room.
- Once risen, brush with the egg wash and bake at 210oC for 10 minutes, until golden brown. Leave to cool.
- Make the fillings by mixing the marzipan with the cream and cardamom powder until it makes a spoonable paste.
- When the buns are cool, cut the tops into triangles and put aside for later. Scoop out the insides, add the insides to the marzipan mixture, mix and then spoon back into the buns.
- Whip the cream with the vanilla and sugar until it reaches a pipe-able consistency and with a star tip and piping bag, pipe over the tops of the buns.
- Place the cut out triangle back on top and dust lightly with icing sugar.