Millionaires shortbread have been around, an indulgent treat simply made from three layers of shortbread biscuit, smooth caramel and then finished off with chocolate, isn’t it time its earnt an upgrade?
Espresso Millionaires Shortbread
- 170g plain flour
- 170g butter
- 85g semolina
- 85g caster sugar
- 100g golden syrup
- 140g butter
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
- 200g milk chocolate
- 75g white chocolate
- Begin by making the biscuit base by creaming together the butter and sugar. Sift in the semolina and flour and mix till it just forms a dough.
- Put in the base of a lined tin, and press out with your fingers until there is an even covering on the bottom. Bake at 170oC for 25 minutes.
- Once baked, leave to cool whilst you make the caramel. Place the golden syrup, butter and condensed milk in a saucepan over a low heat until the butter has melted.
- Once melted turn the heat up until it boils and continually boil for five minutes. Add the coffee, stir and then pour over the biscuit base. Leave to cool completely at room temperature.
- Melt the chocolates in separate bowls. Once melted, place the white chocolate into a piping bag and pour the milk chocolate over the caramel.
- To achieve the decoration, pipe lines of white chocolate over the milk chocolate and with a toothpick drag through the chocolate to create a feathered effect.
A naughty treat, given an upgrade with the coffee, perfect for all those espresso lovers out there, enjoy!