Traditional Turkish delight comes in a wonderfully fragrant rose flavour however try it with a twist, using hibiscus flowers instead.
Hibiscus Turkish Delight
(you will need a sugar thermometer)
- 25g hibiscus flowers
- 330g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 45g cornflour, plus more to dust
- Place the hibiscus flowers in a piece of muslin and tie with string so that it stays contained.
- Add the sugar along with 175ml water and the hibiscus flowers. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved and then bring to 125oC. Remove the hibiscus flowers.
- In another saucepan, add the cornflour, cream of tartar and 200ml of cold water, heat gently until the mixture has completely thickened.
- Pour over the sugar syrup and continue to cook, stirring continuously for 15 minutes.
- Pour into a baking tray, lined with greased cling film. Leave to cool.
- Once cool, turn out onto a cornflour dusted surface and cut into pieces.