A simple dessert, perfect for large parties, layers of strong coffee soaked sponge, with creamy mascarpone filling with the addition of Irish cream and grated chocolate gives this one the edge.
(you will need a large square Tupperware to assemble to dessert in)
- 125ml Irish cream
- 500g mascarpone
- 50g sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 200g sponge fingers
- 250ml strong cold coffee
- 50g chocolate, grated
- Whisk the egg yolks with the caster sugar until thick and creamy, this can take sometime if doing by hand. In another bowl whisk the egg whites till they reach stiff peaks.
- Soften the mascarpone by beating it and then fold in the Irish cream, egg whites and egg yolks. Folding gently till combined.
- In a square box, line with several layers of cling film, dip the sponge fingers into the strong coffee for a few seconds, turning to make sure every surface is covered. Arrange in the bottom of the box, top with a layer of the mascarpone mix and then a sprinkling of the grated chocolate.
- Continue layering twice more finishing with a sprinkle off the grated chocolate. Leave to set in the fridge for several hours or even overnight.
- To serve, cut into portions and top with chocolate coffee beans.
Feel like your back in Italy with this dessert and enjoy!