Ah one of life’s simple pleasures, a cappuccino, in cake form! Although this cake takes more the appearance of a cappuccino as opposed to the flavour.
(for the cake)
- 230g caster sugar
- 230g butter
- 230g self raising flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 tbsp. instant coffee dissolved in 3 tbsp. boiling water
(for the icing and decoration)
- 150g white chocolate
- 75g butter
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 230g icing sugar
- cocoa to dust
- chocolate coffee beans to decorate
- Begin by creaming together the butter and sugar till pale and creamy. Beat the eggs in one at a time, don’t worry if the mixture curdles, just add a spoonful of flour with each addition of egg.
- Sift in the cocoa, flour and baking powder and fold gently until there are no more lumps of flour.
- Pour the coffee mix in and fold gently again until smooth and one colour. Pour into the cake tins evenly and level.
- Bake at 170oC for 25 minutes, until the cake comes away from the sides and when tested with a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool.
- Whilst the cake is cooking make the icing. Begin by melting the chocolate, butter and milk in a pan over a saucepan of boiling water.
- Once melted, sift in the icing sugar and beat thoroughly insuring there are no lumps of icing sugar, if there are pass the icing through a sieve. Leave the icing to harden up in the fridge.
- Once the cake has cooled and the icing is of a spreadable thickness, layer cake, then half the icing, the other sponge and finally the last of the icing. To decorate sprinkle cocoa powder over and chocolate coffee beans.
Celebrate, slice and enjoy!