Lavender adds an interesting element to these scones, combined with the lemon makes a treat for the taste buds. The subtle floral notes combined with the punchy lemon flavour is absolutely heavenly, which matches the weather we’re having at the moment perfectly!
Lemon and Lavender Scones
(you will need a greased baking tray and a small round crimped cutter, the sugar will need to be made at least 24 hours in advance)
- 230g Self Raising flour
- 85g Butter
- 60g Castor sugar
- 2 tsp Lavender
- 1 Egg
- 4 tbsp Milk
- zest of one Lemon
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- lemon curd
- clotted cream
- icing sugar to dust
- Begin by infusing the sugar with lavender, simply place the sugar and lavender into a Tupperware box and leave to infuse in a cool place.
- Put the milk into a bowl with the lemon juice, leave for 10 minutes to turn into buttermilk.
- Make the scones by rubbing the butter into the flour, sift in the sugar, saving the lavender for decoration, lemon zest and mix.
- Beat the egg with the milk and pour into the flour mix, stir until just combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and press the dough to make it 2 inches thick, cut out rounds and place apart on the baking tray.
- bake for 12 minutes at 200oC, leave to cool slightly before dusting with icing sugar and lavishly spreading with clotted cream, lemon curd and topping with the lavender.
Eat outside in the sunshine for afternoon tea at home and enjoy!