New season blueberries are in shops at the moment and they are the most plump, juicy sweet berries ever. They make a perfect addition to any baked good.
This loaf cake is swirled with lemon curd and speckled with blueberries, adding a fudgy sort of texture with bursts of sweetness. Topped with candied lemon slices, more blueberries and a little icing creates the perfect balance between sweet and sour.
Lemon and Blueberry Loaf Cake
(you will need a 2lb loaf tin)
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 175g butter
- 3 eggs
- 150g self raising flour
- 30g ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 120g blueberries
- 3 tbsp lemon curd
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
(for icing and decoration)
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 100g castor sugar
- 1 lemon, sliced thinly
- Begin by creaming the butter and sugar till pale and creamy, add the eggs a little at a time and mix until well combined.
- Sieve in the flour, baking powder and ground almonds and fold till smooth and there are no lumps of flour.
- Add the lemon juice, zest, blueberries and mix till evenly distributed.
- Into the greased baking tin, add a tablespoon of the cake mix with a teaspoon of the lemon curd and continue doing this until all the cake mix has been use up.
- Bake at 170oC for 45 minutes, leave to cool.
- For the decoration begin by making the candied lemon slices, place the caster sugar along with 100ml water and bring to the boil, add in the lemon slices and boil for 5 minutes.
- Place the lemon slices on a sheet of baking paper and sprinkle with castor sugar. Put the blueberries in the lemon syrup and make sure they are all evenly coated, place them on top of the lemon slices on the cake.
- Make the icing by mixing the icing sugar with a little of the lemon juice till you have reached the pouring consistency and drizzle over the cake.
Slice, share and enjoy!